Galbraith Family Recipes, Main Course, Pressure Cooker
Prep 15 mins Cook 90 minutes Makes 6 servings Difficulty Easy Source My collection
In a hurry? Skip steps 1 and 2 for now. In step 3, add the raw beef to the pot with the broth, onion, etc.
1. Mix together the flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip top bag or other container. Add the stew beef and toss to coat with the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour; you only need a thin coating. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
2. Set Instant Pot to Saute. When hot, add oil and brown the meat in batches. Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of beef broth. Gently scrape the pot to release all stuck-on yummy bits; they will dissolve into the broth. The broth may thicken, but this will not be a problem.
3. Return the beef to the pot, along with the remaining beef broth. Cut onion into 1-inch pieces. Add onion and bay leaves to pot. Add enough water to cover the beef. Close the Instant Pot. Cancel Saute setting, if still active, and set on Manual for 15 minutes at high pressure. Allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR), and then release any remaining pressure using Quick Release (QR). If pot sputters during QR, close vent for a moment and then continue QR. Repeat as needed.
4. Cut celery into 3/4-inch pieces. Add celery and carrots to pot. If using baby bella (small portabella) mushrooms, add them at this time.
5. Add water to pot as necessary. Do not add too much water. Seal pot and cook on Manual for 5 minutes with a QR (see note above about sputtering).
6. Cut potatoes into eighths (1-2 inch pieces). Add potatoes, mushrooms (if not added earlier) and garlic to pot. Add water to pot as necessary, but don't over do the water. It only dilutes the flavor layers you've built up. Seal the pot and cook on Manual, high-pressure for 5 minutes, with a 5 minute NPR and then QR.
7. Remove bay leaves. Thicken the stew using a slurry made from the reserved flour mixture. Additional flour may be used if a thicker result is desired.
Serve with fresh biscuits or cornbread.
This is a Galbraith Family recipe, that has been converted for Instant Pot use. Very reliable. A basic stew that can be embellished as desired. Some variations are listed below.
Beef Barley Stew
Increase broth to 48 fl oz. Add 1 cup uncooked barley with onions and bay leaves. Increase cooking time for carrots, celery, and mushrooms to 8 minutes, with a 5 minute NPR. Omit potatoes and final cooking cycle.
Omit flour. Prepare using the "In a hurry" steps. If thickening is desired, use 1/3 cup potato flakes (Instant Mashed Potatoes) stirred into the stew.
Nutrition Facts (made with Potatoes)
Per Serving % Daily Value*
Total Fat 7.2g 11%
Saturated Fat 0.4g 2%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 718mg 30%
Potassium 749mg 21%
Total Carb 33.3g 11%
Dietary Fiber 5.1g 20%